Hugh advises on development economics, economic assessments, options appraisals and programme implementation.
He has worked extensively in the public sector advising UK and international governments on strategies for regional development, city master planning and eco-cities.
Skills and areas of expertise
- Economic and market assessments to support planning and development
- Financial modelling including sensitivity analyses and risk analysis
- Master-planning and development projects
- Private Finance Initiatives (PFI), Public Private Partnerships (PPP) and “Corporate PFI”.
- Preparation of industry and market sector reports
- Procurement advice to public sector organisations
- Analysis of corporate exposure to risk
Examples of work:
- Bahrain: Advice on governance and implementation of new planning regime
- Tanzania: economic assessment of new transport infrastructure project.
- Developing a concept master plan for the city of Gabala in northern Azerbaijan.
- Strategy – King Abdullah City for Atomic and Renewable Energy (KA-CARE) Saudi Arabia
- BBC Worldwide: led the team providing support to relocation of BBC Worldwide.
- Public Health England, Science Hub Programme: risk reviews and quality check of the business case
Hugh regularly speaks at seminars and conferences and is a guest lecturer at UCL, Oxford Brookes University. He has written a wide range of articles and professional papers.
- Bachelors Degree (BA Honours) in Geography – University of Durham, (1983)
- Bachelors Degree (BSc Honours) in Estate Management – Northumbria University (1988)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management Studies (DMS) – University of Middlesex (1996)